Senator Lindsey Graham (Chairman of the Senate Judiciary) has decided to sit out the 2020 Senate primary race in South Carolina. Based on his scant primary campaign efforts to date, Graham is obviously taking the voters of South Carolina for granted! As he sits high upon his perch in Washington, DC, voters are starting to wonder when he is going to come down and bless us with his presence. While other primary candidates are working hard, crisscrossing the state, and getting to know the needs and concerns of the people of South Carolina (within social distancing guidelines), Senator Graham can’t be bothered to listen to the concerns of his constituents. Why?
There are several theories as to why there is such little effort on Lindsey Graham’s part.
1. Game Over – Graham doesn’t feel that he has to earn the Senate seat in South Carolina in the 2020 election cycle. He is a 3-term Senator who feels that he is OWED this re-election. He believes that he can’t be touched in this race. Why should he have to listen to his constituents and work hard for the primary nomination? He doesn’t think that he needs to. However, most South Carolinians want to know that he is on the ground, in our state, and that he cares.
2. Fear – He has been advised by his campaign strategists not to spend money in the primary campaign. The more money he spends in the primary race, the more he rallies the anti-Graham base. In other words, if he lays low, he will not stir up the “dump Lindsey” hornet’s nest.
3. Lack of Creativity – Graham either doesn’t have the time (in his opinion) or just doesn’t care to think “out of the box” in order to engage the voters on a more personal level. He tends to be more of a manager of events than he is a strategic thinker or someone that can innovate on the fly.
4. Arrogance – He is full of himself. A cocky, short-tempered, professional political operative who is our intellectual superior, so he thinks! He has this primary in the bag.
5. Coronavirus I – He has to stay in Washington to advise the President on the Coronavirus crisis. Really? I think President Trump has an able team of scientists and other healthcare experts around to give him advice. Using the “art of sophistry”, Senator Graham will razzle-dazzle us with a regurgitation of yesterday’s news. Using this approach will keep him in the news headlines and away from interacting with his voters.
6. Coronavirus II – Since he is not very good at listening to his constituents, this crisis is a great smokescreen to stay unengaged and participate from a distance.
7. Head in National Politics – Senator Graham has experienced “political drift” and lost his first love…the people of South Carolina. He is more concerned with the sophistication of world governance and national politics than he is with getting to know the needs and concerns of the people of South Carolina.
Senator Graham’s absence is very noticeable. He has “mailed in” his South Carolina Senate primary campaign and is satisfied staying in Washington, DC, and sitting this one out. WRONG WAY GRAHAM!