Securing our national borders is one of the primary cornerstones of a free and prosperous democratic republic. The United States of America should have a clearly defined geographical barrier of protection that preserves the freedoms and liberties of all Americans. I believe that an Almighty God has blessed us with a sovereign nation that I am pleased to call my country. As a beacon of light and a shining example of hope and prosperity, America is a hiding place and safe haven for those seeking to experience the totality of freedom through the process of entry appropriated and enforced by law. Laws of a porous nature will not stand the test of time. In other words, without the enforcement of our immigration laws, our country will soon cease to exist.
I believe that the crisis at the border is a very complex web of poor immigration laws, inadequate enforcement, limited funding, election year politics, rogue sanctuary cities and creative loopholes by the progressive liberals in the Democratic Party. We must all remember that this American crisis is being played out over raw and unadulterated power. The Democratic Socialists and progressive left want to allow as many illegals in our country as possible to bolster the number of democratic voters. By doing this, the Democrats feel that they will control the illegal’s vote and ultimately long-term power. If we will stand up as Americans, take the lead and say “enough is enough”, our leaders will follow.
In May of 2019 alone we had over 4,600 people a day cross our borders illegally, which resulted in 144,000 illegal immigrants. The recent $4.6 billion in humanitarian aid is only putting a band-aid on the crisis at our southern border. It is based on these facts that I set forth my position on how to stop the flow of illegal immigration and seal our borders from those who are currently overrunning and impeding our national sovereignty. My position includes a multi-faceted approach to sealing our borders from illegal immigrants that include drug lords, hardened criminals, terrorists, sex traffickers and others who would abuse and violate both human rights and God’s natural laws.
The following strategic guide is my recommendation for stopping the illegal flow of immigrants.
1. Congress needs to provide the funding necessary to build a wall. As your Senator, I will use all legislative means available to help provide and advocate for border security funding that includes a permanent and high-tech wall structure.
2. The President has the authority to execute the laws of the land. Therefore, the 1 million plus known immigrants who have violated our immigration policies along with those unknown illegals subsequently identified must be deported. We must ratchet up deportation to send a message that illegal immigration will not be tolerated on our shores.
3. We need to expand the scope of the President’s legal national emergency powers with an increased military presence until our borders have been sealed. This proposed military presence will include those who have the specific skill sets to capture, detain, feed, house, process, deport and/or be caregivers. A progressive accumulation of forces should be used to stop the flow of illegal immigration. Once this objective has been achieved we will immediately draw down our presence commensurate with diminished illegal activity.
4. Additional economic pressure should equally be applied to those countries from where the illegal immigrants originate as well as our close friend and ally, Mexico. We must expect cooperation from our southern partners. A significant reduction in federal aid or an increase in import tariffs should be on the table for discussion and debate.
5. We must revamp the immigration and asylum laws on our books to stop chain migration, catch and release, faulty claims of “credible fear of persecution”, “anchor baby” extension and children immediately being turned over to Health and Human services and placed in the “least restrictive setting” that consequently lead to illegal behavior. The previous administration has created the enabling processes and laws that help illegal immigration flourish.
6. Expand highly skilled “H1B” visas along with an expansion of green card opportunities for those who fit our national best interests.
7. End the travesty of illegal immigrants receiving welfare, free education and other entitlements that encourage the unseemly and unlawful behavior. We are simply making it too easy for immigrants to break our laws. This must stop.
8. Cut off all federal funding for sanctuary cities who would circumvent federal laws that support legal immigration and provide a safe haven for those who break U.S. laws.
Enforcement, consent of the governed, alignment to God’s moral law and an abiding affection and faith toward the laws of the land by its citizenry will procure a most favorable and long-lasting result that will be highly esteemed by posterity. As a Republican candidate for the United States Senate in our beautiful state of South Carolina, I ask that you join me in letting our voices be heard on the illegal immigration front.